Effective Date: January 1, 2023
To easily find the information you’re looking for, please click on the links below to be taken to the relevant section :
- Information We Collect and Use
- How We Disclose Personal Information
- Online Privacy Choices
- Children’s Privacy
- Third-Party Websites
- Contact Us
- Region-Specific Notices
Information We Collect and Use
What is Personal Information?
When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to an individual or household. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or reasonably linked to an individual or household.
We collect personal information when you interact with us at different touchpoints, including information that can directly or indirectly identify you. As a consumer retail company, we use personal information for a variety of business purposes including sharing it and combining it with other information we might receive from our retail partners, technologies, and other third parties. This section details the ways we collect personal information in connection with our services, the kinds of personal information we collect and how we use it.
Personal Information You Provide
We collect the following personal information you provide in connection with our services:
- Contact and Profile Information. We collect personal information, such as your name, email address, password, telephone number, gender, zip code, and shipping address when you create an account, redeem or participate in a promotion, purchase or redeem a gift card or otherwise communicate with us. We collect any communications between you and us and any other information you provide to us. We also collect information about your use of our services and store it in your profile, such as your orders, and similar activity.
- Communications. If you communicate with us through any paper or electronic form or through our Customer Service Center via phone, email or chat, we may collect your name, email address, billing and shipping address, phone number or any other personal information you choose to provide to us. We use this information to investigate and respond to your inquiries, to communicate with you, to enhance the services we offer to our users and to manage and grow our organization. If you register for our emails, catalog or promotional messages, we will communicate with you by email, mail or text message. If you use our chat function, you agree that we may record the chat session. We may also send you service-related emails or messages (e.g., user account verification, change or updates to features of the services, technical and security notices) and communications from or about J.Jill.
- To unsubscribe from our emails, please follow the instructions within our messages and review the Online Privacy Choices section below.
- For more information on our text messaging program, including how to unsubscribe, please see our Text Message Terms.
If you choose to checkout using PayPal, please note that PayPal independently determines the purposes and means for processing your personal information. You can lean more about PayPal’s privacy practices in its privacy statement.
- Shopping and Viewing History. We may collect personal information about the items you viewed on our website, added to your cart, purchased or returned.
- Information You May Post or Submit to Our Website. We may collect information about any content you post to the services, including any reviews or questions you post. Please note that any reviews or questions you post to the services will be accessible publicly.
- Business Partners and Representatives. We may collect information about our business contacts that are seeking to or currently providing services for J.Jill. This information may include contact information, professional information, tax and payment information, and information about the contracts and services provided.
Information Automatically Collected When You Use our Services
Like most digital platforms, we collect certain personal information automatically when you visit our online services, including:
- Information About Your Device and Its Software. We may place, or allow to be placed, cookies, pixels, web beacons and similar technologies (“cookies”) on our services to give you the best experience, perform analytics, analyze traffic, personalize content, offer a range of features and functionality, and offer ads that match your interest. The information collected through cookies may include your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, device type/model/manufacturer, operating system, date and time stamp, and a unique ID that allows us to identify your browser or your account (including, for example, a persistent device identifier or an Ad ID), and other similar information. We may also work with third-party partners to employ cookies and analytical tools, including the application of statistical modeling tools, that permit us to recognize and contact you across multiple devices.
- Information About the Way You Access and Use Our Services. This may include, for example, the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our services, the pages you visit, the links you click, whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, whether you access the services from multiple devices, and other actions you take on the services.
- Analytics Data. This may include your navigation of our site or services, through our services and when exiting our services, as well as your usage and activity on our services, such as the links and objects you view, click or otherwise interact with (also known as “clickstream data”). We may collect analytics data or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the services and to understand more about the demographics of our users. To learn more about the use of data collection technologies by Google or Adobe for analytics and to exercise choice regarding those technologies, please visit the Google Analytics opt-out page and Adobe Analytics opt-out page. We may also use the data collected by a marketing company to conduct specialized marketing programs. You may opt out of the collection of such data. To opt out, go to http://wwu.jjill.com/optout.html.
Information Collected In-Store or on the Phone
- Payment and Transaction Information. We may collect information about your in-store transaction such as items purchased, items of interest, date and time of your transaction, amount purchased, and payment information, such as your credit/debit card or gift card details, when you make an in-store purchase.
- Audio, Visual and Sensory Information. We may collect audio recordings, visual film or still images, physical and behavioral characteristics, or patterns when you enter our store or call our support line. We may collect this information directly from you if you make a telephone call to our customer service number that is recorded, if you publicly post images or audio/video where you post and tag us or our brands. We may also collect this information through CCTV cameras in our store locations.
Information Provided by Third-Party Sources
In addition to the personal information collected above, we may also collect personal information from the following third-party sources:
- Gifting: If someone buys and sends you a gift, we will collect the contact, shipping and gift information about you provided by the gifter.
- Social Media: If you choose to interact with us on social media, we may collect personal information about you from the social media accounts that you make public. We use personal information collected in connection with your social media account to communicate with you, better understand your interests and preferences, and better understand our customer base more broadly.
- Business Partners: Our business partners, such as our retail partners and the members of our affiliate program, collect personal information in connection with their services and may share some of this information with us. For example, we receive information about individuals who were referred to us by our affiliates and the transactions the individual completes through our services in order to count those transactions toward the individual’s cash back, bonus points or other rewards programs through these partners.
- Service Providers: Our service providers, such as payment processors and marketing providers, collect personal information and often share it with us. For example, we receive personal information from payment processors to confirm that an individual’s payment for the services was accepted. We also receive information about the success of our email campaigns, including information about who has opened our marketing communications and when.
- Information Providers: We may, from time to time, obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to confirm an address or reconnect with an individual. We may also enrich the data we own with third-party information, such as demographic information about customers to understand our audience and develop better marketing communications.
- Publicly Available Information: We may collect personal information from publicly available sources, such as government records or public review websites, to help improve our business and services.
Our Use of Personal Information
We and the third parties we work with may use personal information:
- To process your account registration on our services, including verifying your information to ensure its accuracy and validity.
- To fulfill your requests, including to provide you with information that you request or otherwise respond to your inquiry.
- To fulfill your purchases, including to process payments in connection with your transaction online, in-store or over the phone, and to have our fulfillment and shipping partners deliver your products.
- To personalize your experience, including to locate the J.Jill stores closest to your location, and customize content on our services relevant to your interests, including but not limited to targeted offers and ads through our website, email, social media channels, third-party sites, or on other devices you may use.
- To operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the services.
- To send you important information regarding the services, such as certain changes to our terms, conditions, policies, and/or other administrative information. Because this information may be material to your use of the services, you may not opt-out of receiving such communications.
- To inform you of products, programs, services, and promotions that we believe may be of interest to you, including, without limitation, adding you to our email, mailing and text message lists and permitting you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions. (collectively, “Promotions”).
- To present advertising online and via emails, catalogs, text messages, or other communication channels, including through social media platforms and internet search engines.
- To evaluate your eligibility for certain types of Promotions, offers, products, or services that may be of interest to you.
- To administer and manage or vendors and business partners, including the affiliate referral program to compensate our partners for successful referrals.
- To analyze and improve our business.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our service, technology assets, and business.
- For our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, customer research, audits, fraud prevention, developing new products and/or features, enhancing the services, improving our services, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, including to inform our machine learning for purposes such as user engagement.
We may also use aggregate personal information in a manner such that the end-product does not uniquely identify you or any other user of the services.
How We Disclose Personal Information
We disclose personal information in the following ways:
- Business Partners: We share information with our business partners, such as our retail partners engaged in joint promotional activities and the members of our affiliate program. This information may include information about those receiving our Promotions and transaction histories to compensate our partners for successful referrals.
- Third Parties at Your Request: You may choose to share your activities on the services with your friends through email, on various social media networks, or when you send a gift to someone.
- Online Advertising Partners. We also share personal information with advertising networks or permit these partners to collect information from you directly on our websites to facilitate online advertising, such as search engines and social network advertising providers to serve targeted ads to you or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics, on third-party platforms. For more information, including how to opt out of interest-based advertising, please see the Online Privacy Choices section below.
- The Public: When you provide feedback or post user content on our services (e.g., if you post a product review on our website or comment on our social media sites), your information may be displayed on our websites or on our social media pages. When you engage with us on social media, we may tag your social media account or the social media account of others (e.g., to give photo credit).
- Service Providers. We share personal information with third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers who perform functions or services on our behalf and under our instructions to make our services available to you. For example, this may include vendors and providers who engage in marketing or advertising activities or provide mailing or email services, tax and accounting services, auditing and compliance, fraud prevention, infrastructure provisioning, analytics services, IT services, product fulfillment, and web hosting.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization: We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose personal information to a third-party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors, auditors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us;
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person; or
- as otherwise required by applicable law.
We may also share personal information which has been aggregated or de-identified in a manner such that the end-product does not uniquely identify you.
Online Privacy Choices
We permit our trusted business partners and third-party advertising companies (including ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors, or providers of sponsored content, collectively “ad partners”) to collect your browsing information and numerical identifiers associated with your browser or device to provide ads on our behalf that are tailored to your interests. These ads may appear on our website, and on other third-party websites. Using cookies, our ad partners collect data from a particular browser or device about a user’s web viewing behaviors over time, across unrelated websites, and in some cases combine such data with data collected from other browsers or devices associated with the same user or household, and use such data to predict user preferences and to deliver advertisements to that user which are calculated to target that user’s predicted preferences across devices. If you take steps to block advertising cookies or opt out of interest-based advertising, note that this does not mean that you will no longer receive ads from J.Jill, as these ads are only one form of digital advertising. Throughout our online advertising practices we support the self-regulatory principles of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”).
You have some choices regarding how we use your personal information, including those in this section and, depending on where you live, please see the Region-Specific Notices section below for additional information that may apply to you.
- Accessing, Correcting and Updating Your Information: When you set up an account, sign in or log in on our services, you can access, correct, or update your choices and settings. If you have questions about reviewing, changing, or deleting your information, you can contact us directly using the contact information below. We may not be able to change or delete your information in all circumstances.
- How to Control Your Communications Preferences:
- Email: If you receive email marketing communications from us and want to opt out of receiving such communications in the future, you can opt out by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the promotional email, or by clicking here. You will not be able opt-out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the services, technical and security notices).
- Direct Mail: If you receive direct mail from us, including catalogs, and wish to unsubscribe, you can opt out by contacting us directly using the contact information below. Please be sure to include your full name, mailing address and e-mail address along with the types of communications you do not want to receive. It may take up to 8 weeks to process an opt-out for direct mail.
- Text Message: To cancel recurring automated marketing text messages from J.Jill, text "STOP" to 90773. This is the exclusive method for opting-out. After texting “STOP” to 90773, you will receive one additional message confirming that your request has been processed. For more information about our text messaging program, please see our Text Message Terms.
- Non-Affiliate Data Sharing: If you would like to opt out of our sharing personal information with our non-affiliated retail business partners for their own direct marketing purposes, you can opt out by clicking on Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information and following the instructions.
- Cookies and Online Advertising: Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can block or delete cookies at any time to prevent the collection of your browsing information for purposes of delivering interest-based ads and tracking visitor behavior. You can block or opt out of cookies or collection of data for interest-based advertising by adjusting settings within your device or browser. For instructions, check your browser’s technical information. You can also find options for restricting cookies placed by some of our ad partners, on the DAA’s opt-out page or the by using the NAI’s opt-out tool.
Cookie Opt Out: Cookie Opt-Out Settings
We also use a tool called Facebook pixel which allows us to measure the effectiveness of our advertising by understanding the actions you take on our website. To learn more about Facebook ads and manage your preferences, click here.
If you are using a mobile device, your device may also include a feature (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “"Opt Out of Ads Personalization"” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through mobile apps used for behavioral advertising purposes. If you block cookies at a browser level or use a different computer or browser to access our platforms, you should review your cookie settings again. Please be aware that blocking or deleting cookies may also disable or interfere with shopping features on our services and other sites that you may visit.
Our websites and online services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, please do not use our websites or online services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 18 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 18, we will promptly delete that personal information.
100 Birch Pond Drive
Tilton, NH 03276
Notice to Certain U.S. State Residents
Contractors, freelancers and other business contacts that are residents of California may reach out to their point of contact at J.Jill to request a copy of our California Personnel Privacy Notice for more information about the processing of your personal information.
Information We Collect
The categories of personal information we collect can include:
- Personal identifiers such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, or similar identifiers.
- Customer records such as your identification documents, payment information (credit or debit card or other financial information).
- Commercial information such as your transaction history, account information, participation in a rewards program, or information about the products you’ve viewed.
- Sensory information such as photos and videos of you and audio recordings of phone calls between you and us, where permitted by law.
- Preferences and inferences you provide to us or generated through your use of the services, including inferences we may make based on our experience with you.
- Internet, network and device information from the browser or device you use to access our services, which could include your IP address, device ID, cookie identifiers, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and or clickstream data.
- Geolocation data including location data from your browser or device or inferred based on your IP address or WiFi connection.
- Professional information including your business contact information and background related to your role as a business contact, vendor, affiliate or other agent of a third party we work with.
Our Use of Your Sensitive Personal Information
The following personal information elements we collect may be classified as “sensitive” under the U.S. state privacy laws (“sensitive information”):
- Username and password;
- Credit and debit card number plus expiration date and security codes (CVV) (“payment card information”).
Please note that for transaction online or in-store, we use third party payment processors, who collect and process payment card information on our behalf. As such, we do not collect or retain any payment card information in connection with transactions other than tokenized information or the last four digits of your card for our records. For transactions conducted over the phone with our Customer Support Center, we will collect payment card information and directly forward it to our payment processor and do not retain the payment card information other than tokenized information or the last four digits of your card for our records.
Sharing Personal Information
We do not sell sensitive information, and we do not process or otherwise share sensitive information for the purpose of targeted advertising. We do not collect or process sensitive information, for inferring characteristics about you.
We may at times receive, or process personal information to create, deidentified information that can no longer reasonably be used to infer information about, or otherwise be linked to, a particular individual or household. Where we maintain deidentified information, we will maintain and use the information in deidentified form and not attempt to reidentify the information except as required or permitted by law.
Your Privacy Rights
Depending on your state of residency and subject to certain legal limitations and exceptions, you may be able to exercise some or all of the following rights:
|The Right to Know||
The right to confirm whether we are processing personal information about you and, under California law only, to obtain certain personalized details about the personal information we have collected about you, including:
|The Right to Access & Portability||The right to obtain access to the personal information we have collected about you and, where required by law, the right to obtain a copy of the personal information in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows you to transmit the data to another entity without hindrance.|
|The Right to Correction||The right to correct inaccuracies in your personal information, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of the personal information|
|The Right to Control Over Sensitive Information||The right to exercise control over our collection and processing of certain sensitive information|
|The Right to Control Over Automated Decision-Making / Profiling||The right to direct us not to use automated decision-making or profiling for certain purposes, including any form of automated processing of personal information to evaluate, analyze, or predict personal aspects concerning an individual’s economic situation, health, personal preferences, interests, reliability, behavior, location or movements in furtherance of decisions producing legal or similarly significant effects|
|Right to Opt-Out of Sales or Sharing of Personal information||The right to direct us not to (a) “sell” your personal information to third parties for monetary or other valuable consideration, or (b) “share” your personal information with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes and targeted advertising purposes.
See the section Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information below for more information.
|The Right to Request Deletion||The right to request the deletion of personal information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions.|
Depending on your state of residency, you may also have the right to not receive retaliatory or discriminatory treatment in connection with a request to exercise the above rights. However, the exercise of the rights described above may result in a different price, rate or quality level of product or service where that difference is reasonably related to the impact the right has on our relationship or is otherwise permitted by law.
Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information
Sell. Under the laws of California, Colorado, Connecticut and Utah, the definition of “sale” is broad and covers many common business activities, even when the personal information used is not exchanged for money, or when it has been partially de-identified. J.Jill shares personal identifiers, or internet, network and device information, and preferences and inferences for data analytics including fraud detection, marketing and advertising purposes, for example, to better understand consumer engagement with our brand, to match your interests with similar products you may also be interested in, to offer advertising for our products across other devices that you use, and to identify other consumers with interests similar to yours who may also be interested in our products.
Under Virginia law, “selling” is the exchange of your Personal Information for monetary consideration only. J.Jill does not sell your personal information for money to third parties for their independent business use.
Share. When we use the term “share” or “sharing” we mean sharing, renting, releasing disclosing, disseminating making available, transferring or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, your personal information by us to a third-party for cross-context behavioral advertising as well as targeted advertising as defined under the U.S. state privacy laws.
We do not “sell” or “share” sensitive information.
Exercising Your Rights
To exercise the rights described above, please choose one of the following options:
- To submit a request to exercise your Right to Know, Access, Portability, Correction, or Deletion, please submit this form call us at 1.800.343.5700 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org with sufficient information to identify you in our systems and fulfill your request.
- To submit a request to exercise your Right to Opt-Out of Sales or Opt-Out of Sharing/Use of Your Personal Information for Targeted Advertising, please click on Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information and following the instructions or enable an opt-out preference signal for a browser or plug-in that makes it clear that such signal is meant to have the effect of opting you out of the sale and sharing of your personal information.
- Note that if you do not complete the form located at Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, we may only be able to apply the request to that specific device or browser and only for cookie-based selling and sharing. Please fill out the form or visit the opt-out provided by our Cloud Data Platform to opt-out of potential future data “sales” that are not tied to cookies.
- As an additional measure, we also suggest you block or opt out of cookies or collection of data for targeted advertising by adjusting settings within your device or browser. For instructions, check your browser’s technical information. You can also find options for restricting cookies placed by some of our ad partners, on the DAA’s opt-out page. If you are using a mobile device, your device may also include a feature ("Limit Ad Tracking" on iOS or "Opt Out of Ads Personalization" on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through mobile apps used for behavioral advertising purposes. If you block cookies at a browser level or use a different computer or browser to access our platforms, you should review your cookie settings again. Please be aware that blocking or deleting cookies may also disable or interfere with shopping features on our services and other sites that you may visit.
- To initiate these rights in one of our U.S. store locations, please speak with an on-site store manager.
We will need to verify your identity and confirm your state of residence before processing your request, which will generally require the matching of sufficient information you provide to us to the information we maintain about you in our systems or the successful authentication through your account (if you have one with us).
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
Making a privacy rights request does not require you to create an account with us. You will, however, need to provide the information required in the request webform (or by phone to our customer service team) which will enable us to sufficiently verify your identity and identify your personal information in our systems.
We will only use personal information provided in a privacy rights request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request, to process the request, and for necessary record keeping.
Authorized Agents. Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf and with written permission, may make a privacy rights request related to your personal information. In certain circumstances, you are permitted to use an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf where (i) you provide sufficient evidence to show that the requestor is an authorized agent with written permission to act on your behalf and (ii) you successfully verify your own identity with us. We generally require evidence of either: (i) a valid power of attorney; or (ii) a signed letter containing your name and contact information, the name and contact information of the authorized agent, and a signed statement of authorization for the request. Depending on the evidence provided and your state of residency, we may still need to separately reach out to you to confirm the authorized agent has permission to act on your behalf and to verify your identity in connection with the request.
Appealing Privacy Rights Decisions. Depending on your state of residency, you may be able to appeal a decision we have made in connection with your privacy rights request. All appeal requests should be submitted by emailing email@example.com with the subject line “Privacy Rights Appeal.” We welcome the opportunity to discuss the decision about your privacy rights request with you.
- Colorado Residents: If your appeal is denied, you may contact the Colorado Attorney General to address your concerns here.
- Connecticut Residents: If your appeal is denied, you may contact the Connecticut Attorney General to submit a complaint here.
- Virginia Residents: If your appeal is denied, you may contact the Virginia Attorney General to submit a complaint here.
Retention of Personal Information. We retain personal information only for as long as is reasonably necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. However, if necessary, we may retain personal information for longer periods of time, until set retention periods and deadlines expire, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements set by a legislature, regulator or other government authority.
To determine the appropriate duration of the retention of personal information, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of personal information and if we can attain our objectives by other means, as well as our legal, regulatory, tax, accounting and other applicable obligations.
Notice of Financial Incentive. We offer various financial incentives to consumers who allow us to collect and retain personal information. For example, the financial incentives we may provide include:
- Registration incentives, such as discounts for signing up for an account.
- Communications channel offers
- Discounts for J.Jill credit card holders.
When you create an account, sign up for our email list, or otherwise sign-up for a promotion or special offer, you opt-in to participate in a financial incentive program. Participation in any financial incentive program is entirely optional and participants may withdraw from the program at any time. To opt-out of the program and forgo any ongoing incentives, you may unsubscribe from our emails, catalogs and text messages (for communications-based promotional incentives) or close your account (for registration incentives) by using the contact information above in the Contact Us section or by submitting a request to delete your information as described in the Exercising Your Rights section above. Please contact our J.Jill credit card issuer directly to close your J.Jill credit card.
The financial incentives we offer to consumers are reasonably related to the value of the consumer’s data to our business, based on our good-faith, reasonable but sole determination. We estimate the value of consumers’ personal information by considering the expense incurred by the business related to the collection, storage and retention of consumers’ personal information in the context of the financial incentive program and the expenses related to the provision of the financial incentive. From time to time, we may provide additional terms that apply to a particular financial incentive, which will be presented to you at the time you sign up for the financial incentive.
If you are a resident of the State of Nevada in the United States, Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of potential future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. To submit such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.